Saturday, January 15, 2011
The girls were excited to try out their candy flavorings. I made up a batch of candy clay and we went to work. We each tried out different colors and flavors. this turned out to be a big hit. The kids didn't even eat any of their clay until after playing for quite some time. It was rather strange eating it as it was brightly colored and we had been playing with it like play-do.
It was really easy to make. just melt a bag of candy melts and add a third cup of corn syrup. Stir and let sit over night to harden.These are my cherry flavored flowers.
Trekker's candy candy.
Addie created an Easter basket full of candy.
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Over our vacation our tree lost many many of its leaves. I had the girls pick them all up off the floor promising a project. I drew a tree trunk out for them and let them go at it with glue sticks and their leaves. A perfect project for fall even though all of the leaves came from inside.
Edith really enjoys using the glues stick so she glues and I stick leaves.
Thursday, July 15, 2010
The three girls set-up to do a cooperative painting. We taped some paper to the table and then put small bits of tape on the paper. This was especially challenging for Addie and myself because as we worked adding tape, Edie worked removing tape. Once we were satisfied with our tape we each got a color paint and a brush. Then we played simon says with the paint. Simon says, "paint fast, paint circles, have the paint brush dance, pass your paint, ect." Addie was absolutley thrilled when we removed the tape. Edith on the other hand wandered away doing her own thing.
We all had fun and enjoyed making a project together. No fighting. Peaceful.
Thanks Artful Parent as usual.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
I had kept this super expensive box from moving because I knew it would be useful one day. I finally found a great use for it, making a simple and contained harmonograph. I found a great idea perusing the Internet of making one with paint. After many failed attempts at getting paint to make lines instead of drops and splatters I asked my Dad for advice. He suggested sand. We have a few jars of colored sand and a plethora of contact paper so I tried that. It worked wonderfully.
The box has a built in bar that I hung our applesauce cup from using yarn and gimp(rexlace). I poked a hole through the applesauce cup using a screwdriver. I taped a few pennies around the cup to weight it down a bit. Then I cut contact paper to fit and placed in the bottom of the box. I had cut an access panel in the side of the box so the girls could see what was happening. I should have made this a tad bit bigger to aid in removing the projects easily. Place sand in the cup and let the girls swing away. Two colors of sand worked great. After a few swings we spooned some white sand over the entire drawing so it would not be sticky. This helped keep the design because I had to fold the contact paper to get it out of the access panel and I didn't want the extra colored sand moving around and wrecking the design.
The girls loved it and I will probably attempt to figure out the right paint consistency. Edith did need some prompting to let go of the string so that it could actually draw a pattern. Overall a big hit.
Addie's is pictured first and then Edith's.
Saturday, June 26, 2010
Here the girls are working on making fish tank drawings. Addie did not like it when I said "lets make fish bowls." I guess in her world fish only live in tanks. The girls drew their fish and tanks with crayons.
Then they layered on some blue tissue paper covering up all the fish. They painted the tissue paper with water and then removed it. Now they had some lovely fish swimming in their tank.
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
I found several examples of rainbow cupcakes across the web. I decided to tackle the challenge for Addie's preschool show. I loved how they turned out and one of the best parts is how great the wrappers look when you take them off the cupcakes. Addie even asked to save them because they were so pretty.
Here are a few pictures from baking them. I guess I was too tired when I finished them to take any more pictures. They looked and tasted great but did take probably 2-3 hours of work to get them all made. Spreading out each layer takes a long time. Then after they were all baked I had to make some fluffly although much too sticky frosting.